Bring a Modern Twist to Your Thanksgiving Dinner
5 min read
Pass the CBD, Please
Thanksgiving. A holiday filled with the coziest comfort foods like turkey, pumpkin pie, sweet potato casserole, stuffing, mac + cheese, and a whole lot of butter! While all of the above are insanely delicious, they keep your tablescape looking, well, a little muddy. Luckily, we have something that might be able to fix that. Be the hero of your own (Instagram) story and bring this insanely chill, yet bright + beautiful CBD infused cranberry pie to Thanksgiving dinner. The tart acidity of the cranberry curd paired with the brightness of Pure Bloom Orange adds a level of freshness and refinement to your tablescape that we’re kind of obsessed with. It’s silky, tart, slightly unexpected and all-around sophisticated. Plus, the deep jewel tone hue is seriously striking and highly instagrammable.
Easy As Pie
New to cooking with CBD? Don’t freak out! It’s a lot simpler than you might think. CBD is fat-soluble, meaning that it needs to be infused in fat or oil-based ingredients like ghee, butter, lard, or coconut oil before you get going. Still stressed? Don’t worry, we take out the guesswork in the step by step recipe below.
Jazz Up the Dessert Table
This cheerful pie is almost too-pretty-to-eat. After a plateful (or two, three…who’s counting?) of heavy mains and sides, tart cranberry curd is a welcome burst of color and refreshing change of pace. If you have extra cranberries leftover from your sauce, this is an excellent way to use them up!
Cranberry Curd and Orange CBD Infused Pie
Adapted from Williams Sonoma’s Cranberry Curd Pie with Citrus Whipped Cream
1 thawed pie dough
For the filling:
4 1/2 cups (18 oz./560 g) fresh or frozen cranberries
1 1/2 cups (12 oz./375 g) firmly packed light brown sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 orange
Pinch of salt
12 Tbs. (1 1/2 sticks) (6 oz./180 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 whole eggs plus 6 egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 droppers (50 mg) Pure Bloom Orange
For the garnish (optional):
1 cup (8 fl. oz./250 ml) water
1 cup (8 oz./250 g) granulated sugar
Fresh citrus slices
For the citrus whipped cream:
1 cup (8 fl. oz./250 ml) heavy cream
3 Tbs. granulated sugar
Grated zest of 1 orange
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F
2. Transfer the thawed pie dough to a 9-inch pie dish. Unfold and lightly press the dough into the bottom and sides of the dish. Trim the edges and flute to create a scalloped edge all around the crust. Transfer to the freezer for 15 minutes.
3. After letting the crust set in the freezer for 15 minutes, bake the chilled pie shell for about 15 minutes. Your crust should be lightly golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool while you prepare the CBD-infused filling. Leave the oven on so you can pop the pie back in once the curd has been prepared.
4. While the crust is cooling, it’s time to start working on the filling. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine cranberries, brown sugar, lemon juice, orange juice, and salt. Cook until the berries start to burst and break down; this should take about 10 minutes. Next, transfer the cranberry mixture to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. If necessary, slowly add a few tablespoons of water to create a smooth puree.
5. Pour the cranberry mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean saucepan. Time for the fun part! Stir in the butter, eggs, egg yolks, Pure Bloom Orange, and vanilla. Once everything is stirred in, cook the mixture over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens. This should take about 10 minutes. Pour the thickened mixture into the cooled pie crust and put the pie back into your oven. Cook for 10 minutes or until the filling is set. Transfer the pie a wire rack and let cool to room temperature. Once the pie is room temperature, chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, but preferably, chill the pie overnight.
6. Steps 6-8 are optional, but it’s our favorite part and makes your pie Instagram ready. While the pie is chilling, make your garnish. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a vegetable peeler, remove the zest from a lemon and an orange in large, wide strips. Next, cut the large zest pieces into matchstick-size strips. Reserve the zested lemon and orange for another use. With a second lemon and orange using a sharp knife, very thinly slice the citrus, discarding the seeds.
7. In a saucepan over medium-high heat, bring one cup of water and granulated sugar to a simmer. Add the strips of zest to the pan and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the zest is softened. This should take approximately 10 minutes. Use a skimmer to transfer the zest to the prepared baking sheet to drain.
8. Combine the thin citrus slices and sugar syrup in the saucepan. Simmer the lemon and orange slices until they’ve softened and have become translucent in color. Transfer to a baking sheet and allow to cool down to room temperature.
9. When ready to serve the pie, in a large bowl, using a whisk or an electric mixer, whisk the cream until slightly thickened. Add the sugar, lemon zest, orange zest, and vanilla and continue beating until soft peaks form.
10. To assemble the pie, gently spoon the whipped cream (however much you like) on top of the chilled pie. Right before serving, garnish with the candied citrus zest and citrus slices. Serves 8.
What we love about this pie is that it’s easy to make it your own. Once you add the whipped topping, decorate the hell out of it! Dream up your own citrus garnishes, make a happy face, add some sprinkles, drizzle on more CBD, or whatever else your heart desires. Add your own twist and this can be your signature Thanksgiving dish for many years to come.
Up next from Onyx + Rose