CBD and Breast Cancer
7 min read
Onyx + Rose believes in the therapeutic benefits of pure, high-quality CBD products for everyone. But, as a company, we are particularly focused on how our products can meet the needs of active, modern women. We make our products with a sense of purity, gentleness, and honesty that we learned from the women in our lives, and we’re particularly interested in issues of women’s wellness.
IT’S PINK SEASON
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. And all those pink ribbons you see are bringing attention to a crucial issue. As women’s health issues go, breast cancer immediately comes to mind for many. In 2019, an estimated 268,600 new cases of invasive breast cancer will be diagnosed in women in the U.S. (along with 62,930 new cases of non-invasive breast cancer.) In fact, it’s the most common cancer among American women. One in 8 women in the United States will develop breast cancer in her lifetime. While modern medicine has made many advances when it comes to treating and preventing breast cancer, the potential for CBD oil to supplement traditional treatments is only just being explored.
SCIENCE SAYS THIS IS WORTH A TRY
There’s still a lot of research that needs to happen when it comes to CBD. But as a society, we’ve made tremendous progress in the last few years in regards to our attitude towards hemp. We’ve rounded up recent and noteworthy research regarding CBD and breast cancer.
- According to the National Cancer Institute, research indicates that CBD may slow the growth or reduce the risk of recurrence of certain kinds of cancers, including breast cancer. It may enhance the potency of certain medications; and reduce chemotherapy side effects, including vomiting, nausea, and anxiety. Keep in mind, all these studies are limited, and experts agree that further research is needed to understand how CBD affects humans undergoing chemotherapy.
- While clinical research into its efficacy is still getting off the ground, scientists and people who CBD has worked for agree that the compound merits further investigation. A 2017 World Health Organization report stated CBD may have antitumor effects, and that “CBD may have therapeutic benefits,” for a list of ailments, including cancer. The report went on to note “antiproliferative and anti-invasive actions in a large range of cancer types; induction of autophagy-mediated cancer cell death; chemopreventive effects.” If you don’t have your medical degree, what it means is that CBD may have a potentially important role to play in cancer therapy for some.
WHILE WE WAIT FOR THE SCIENCE, WHAT ELSE DO WE KNOW?
We learn more every day about the benefits of CBD oil. Let's dive into the findings so far that focus on CBD and breast cancer.
- CBD may play a role in inhibiting tumor growth. In a 2006 study, CBD inhibited breast cancer tumor growth in rats. “Both cannabidiol and the cannabidiol-rich extract inhibited the growth of xenograft tumors.” (AKA tumors grown in lab rats).
- CBD may have an effect that mimics chemotherapy. Molecular Cancer Therapeutics reported in 2011, “an intricate interplay between apoptosis and autophagy in CBD-treated breast cancer cells and highlighted the value of continued investigation into the potential use of CBD as an antineoplastic agent.” Put simply, it looks like CBD may be making a positive impact, so let’s keep studying it to make sure.
- CBD may potentially control aggressive breast cancer cells according to Breast Cancer Research and Treatment in a study published in August 2011. The study found that sought after “therapeutic interventions for aggressive and metastatic breast cancers,” since there are limited options available, and they declared CBD an “effective, targeted, and nontoxic” therapy. A 2017 study in the Journal of Natural Medicines found CBD to have similar effects in cases of “highly aggressive breast cancer,” but suggested further research.
- Of all the available breast cancer treatments, CBD may be the first nontoxic option. A study from Molecular Cancer Therapeutics (2007) reported that “CBD represents the first nontoxic exogenous agent that can significantly decrease Id-1 expression in metastatic breast cancer cells leading to the down-regulation of tumor aggressiveness.”
- CBDA is a precursor to CBD, and has been shown to inhibit tumors. According to a Japanese study from 2014: “CBDA is an inhibitor of highly aggressive human breast cancer cell migration.”
You already know: Traditional cancer treatments such as chemotherapy and radiation come along with all kinds of side effects: nausea, loss of appetite, weight loss, etc. Research suggests cannabinoids may ease the neuropathic pain, nausea, and poor appetite cancer (and cancer treatment) can bring on, not to mention, CBD’s noted anti-inflammatory and anti-anxiety properties.
AN IMPORTANT NOTE:
That’s an awful lot of positive findings, and hopefully, human clinical trials will be conducted in the U.S. soon. Since CBD is nontoxic and rarely has side effects, it may be worth a try in the meantime. As with any treatment regimen, you should, of course, discuss this with your physician. It's important to remember that anything you ingest (dietary supplements and herbal remedies included) could potentially interfere with chemotherapy treatment, so be especially mindful if you're undergoing treatment. When in doubt, discuss your CBD options with your oncologist and medical team to determine the best course of action.
OUR 2019 INITIATIVE: WE WALK THE WALK (AND BACK UP THOSE WHO WALK WITH US.
This year, a group of us at Onyx + Rose asked ourselves, “What can we do?” We believe in this cause passionately and wanted to show our support in a way that went beyond buying a quick shoutout on social media.
So, we teamed up with Making Strides Against Breast Cancer and donated over 750 CBD Spa Gift Sets for their annual walk event.
Our broad spectrum CBD beauty products, including Botanic Bombs, are an excellent way to soothe sore muscles, reduce pain and inflammation, and relieve stress, whether you have breast cancer yourself or are a tireless supporter who deserves a little break. It’s just our way of sharing the healing power of hemp with a group of strong women who we felt would benefit the most from incorporating our spa kit into their wellness ritual.
YOU’VE GOT THIS. AND WE’VE GOT YOU.
Research. Studies. Doctors. Technology. That is all a part of the breast cancer journey. But true healing comes from a holistic approach that treats the body and mind as one. A treatment regimen that includes CBD oil is a holistic approach to treating the whole person. Onyx + Rose believes that thoughtfully including broad and full spectrum CBD products into a wellness routine may help those dealing with breast cancer achieve a more comfortable outcome and a greater sense of well-being on their way back to wellness.
While we wait for the hard science to come in, early reports and the testimonials of many seem to indicate that CBD may play an active role in both promoting the efficacy of some breast cancer treatments or at least reducing the side effects. Without a doubt, our long relationship with customers has affirmed its powerful effects in stress relief, the reduction of inflammation, and the support of overall health and well-being.
If you or a loved one is dealing with a breast cancer diagnosis, know that Onyx + Rose is there for you with our sincere support, and hopefully, any measure of comfort or relief that CBD products can offer.